In this guide, we will discuss how to add Cosmos coins to the MetaMask wallet. We will explain why MetaMask does not natively support Cosmos due to incompatibility in architectures between the two platforms.
Unfortunately, MetaMask is not compatible with Cosmos due to differing blockchain technologies. Instead, Keplr is a reliable and popular wallet tailored for the Cosmos ecosystem that allows the user to manage ATOM and assets belonging to the Cosmos network.
What is Keplr Wallet?
Keplr is a non-custodial wallet browser extension developed by Anthropic to serve as the primary portal for interacting with applications within the Cosmos ecosystem. As an open-source project, it is trusted by over 800,000 active users worldwide and endorsed directly on the Cosmos website as one of the best cosmos wallets for the network.
- Supports staking of ATOM and over 100 other Cosmos-based coins directly from the wallet interface for automated rewards.
- Provides access to IBC-enabled decentralized applications like Osmosis for liquid staking pools and asset transfers.
- Allows secure connectivity to the wallet via hardware wallets like Ledger for advanced private key management.
- Implements bank-grade security with features like custom password, Recovery phrase backup, 2-factor authentication for transactions.
- Maintained by Anthropic, an AI safety startup backed by top Silicon Valley VCs like Y Combinator and Peter Thiel’s Founders Fund.
How to Add Cosmos to Metamask Using Keplr Wallet
- Download and install the Keplr browser extension compatible with your browser from the official website.
- Open the extension and click on “Create New Wallet” to set up your account with a secure password. Make sure to note down your recovery phrase.
- Select the “Cosmos Hub” network from the list of available blockchains.
- Transfer existing ATOM/tokens to your new Keplr wallet address or purchase directly within the wallet interface by connecting supported exchanges.
- You can now interact with Cosmos DApps, stake coins for rewards, and manage your Cosmos-based crypto assets.
The Cosmos network aims to solve blockchain interoperability by connecting independent parallel blockchains called Zones. At its core is the Cosmos Hub, powered by Tendermint BFT consensus, which serves as the marketplace for cross-chain communication using the Inter-Blockchain Communication (IBC) protocol.
This enables value and data transfers between different Zone blockchains secured by sovereign Proof-of-Stake mechanisms. Some notable Zone examples include Terra, Osmosis, Juno and Secret Network. Beyond scalability and pluggable consensus, Cosmos’ focus on interoperability has attracted over 800 DApps bridging blockchains within its thriving ecosystem.
Popular Cosmos Applications
- Osmosis: A community-driven AMM DEX where users can provide liquidity and stake coins. It has over $1B in total value locked.
- Juno: A faster, EVM-compatible zone supporting liquid staking of tokens within DApps like Chihuahua.
- Secret Network: Focused on data privacy, it enables building DApps where user data is encrypted and only accessible by those authorized.
- Terra: An algorithmic stablecoin protocol and payments network with the UST stablecoin that has surpassed $1B in supply.
- CosmWasm: An EVM and Wasm-compatible smart contract zone for developing blockchain applications.
- Cyber: Enables bridges between blockchains like Ethereum, Drgn, and Bitcoin using IBC.
Is Keplr Secured?
Keplr prioritizes user security and control over their digital assets. All private keys and account credentials are stored locally on the user’s device and are never shared with any third party, including the Keplr developers. This provides non-custodial control, meaning only the user has access to their funds at all times.
Beyond private key management, Keplr implements layers of security like mandatory strong passwords during setup, optional two-factor authentication for transactions, and addresses are derived from a BIP39 recovery phrase stored securely by the user. Its developers also perform regular security audits and bug bounties to identify and fix any vulnerabilities.
Potential for Cosmos on MetaMask
While there has been no direct communication about plans to integrate Cosmos, some industry experts believe future compatibility is possible as blockchain technology progresses rapidly. A few potential scenarios could enable this:
- Cosmos develops EVM compatibility that allows for Ethereum app deployment on its zones. This could open the doors for MetaMask support.
- MetaMask expands to support non-EVM chains by developing generalized protocols for cross-chain compatibility beyond Ethereum.
- The emergence of technologies like Polkadot shared security could enable Metrology/Cosmos bridges, creating avenues for MetaMask to facilitate interoperability.
- Native applications are built on Cosmos that interface directly with Ethereum through trustless bridges, bypassing the need for MetaMask integration at a protocol level.
However, any such integration would require concerted efforts from both project teams based on demand. But it signals the evolving nature of this nascent blockchain sector.
Integration with Hardware Wallets
While Keplr serves as a standalone non-custodial wallet, it also offers seamless hardware wallet connectivity through applications like Ledger Live. This allows users to manage their Cosmos funds using the enhanced security of a hardware device while still enjoying Keplr’s superior decentralized application support. Hardware wallet providers may soon add direct Cosmos app support as well.
In summary, while MetaMask cannot support Cosmos natively, Keplr provides a secure and functional wallet optimized for the Cosmos ecosystem, with support for network features like staking, IBC transfers, and interaction across chain-specific DApps. It serves as a reliable alternative for managing ATOM and other Cosmos tokens.