A detailed review outlining what the best crypto exchanges in Norway are. Learn about the top platforms and compare their fees, features, security, customer support options, and more.
Summary of 5 Best Crypto Exchanges in Norway
In Norway, experts advise opting for exchanges regulated by the Financial Supervisory Authority of Norway (Finanstilsynet) for purchasing and trading Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. By utilizing bank transfers, credit cards, or payment services to deposit Norwegian Krone (NOK), individuals can legally buy, stake, and trade digital assets.
For novices embarking on their crypto ventures in Norway, we’ve assessed the top 5 trading platforms prevalent in the region:
- eToro – Best Overall Crypto Exchange in Norway
- Bybit – Best for Derivatives Trading
- Kraken – Ideal for Asset Transparency
- Binance – Top Choice for Beginners
- NBX – The Cheapest Norway-based Exchange
Rated as the premier crypto exchange in Norway, eToro is known for its intuitive interface, copy trading features, and commitment to regulatory compliance.
- Supports over 3,000 assets, including major cryptocurrencies and altcoins
- Trading fees are around 1% based on a variable spread structure
- Minimum deposit is $200; withdrawal fees depend on the method
- Accepts NOK deposits via bank transfer, debit/credit cards, Skrill, and other payment methods
- Regulated by tier-1 authorities like CySEC and FCA
- Educational resources and multilingual platform available in Norwegian
Why we like it: User-friendly interface, copy trading, regulated platform, and multiple deposit/withdrawal options.
Emerging as the derivatives and margin trading platform, Bybit offers Norwegian traders up to 100x leverage, perpetual contacts, and advanced order types.
- Trade perpetual futures on over 840 cryptocurrencies with 100x leverage
- Fees consist of a 0.06% taker fee and 0.01% maker rebate
- Accepts NOK deposits through wire transfer, cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay
- Insured by Bybit’s $100M protection fund against bankruptcy
- Registered to operate in Norway
Why we like it: Robust trading features, deep liquidity, and secure environment.
Kraken stands out for its commitment to transparency, security, and diverse assets.
- Lists 200+ cryptocurrencies including popular coins, altcoins, and fiat pairs
- Fees range from 0 to 0.26% depending on volume tiers
- Minimum trade volume is 0.002 BTC or equivalent altcoins
- Supports margin and futures trading with 5x leverage
- Audited proof-of-reserves and strong encryption protocols
Why we like it: Transparent holdings, tight spreads, and regulated operations.
As the largest global exchange by volume, Binance offers an extensive selection of over 500 cryptocurrencies with low fees and an easy-to-use platform.
- Charges 0.1% spot trading fees and 0.02-0.07% for futures trades
- Accepts NOK deposits through SEPA, card payments, P2P trading
- Beginner-friendly with educational resources and multi-language support
- Offers staking rewards up to 21.79% APY on supported coins
- Registered to operate within Europe with strong security
Why we like it: Huge selection of coins/tokens, discounted fees, and simple interface.
Designed for Norwegian customers, NBX enables fast NOK deposits/withdrawals and a clean, beginner-friendly trading interface.
- Charges 0.2-0.6% trading fees depending on maker/taker status
- Supports 50+ top cryptocurrencies including BTC, ETH, local tokens
- Seamless integration with Norwegian bank ID and accounts
- Translated customer support and regulatory compliance
- Oversight by the Financial Supervisory Authority of Norway
Why we like it: Specialized for Norwegian clients, easy fiat on/off ramps.
How to Purchase Cryptocurrencies in Norway
For beginners aiming to invest in digital currencies within Norway, adhere to this detailed, step-by-step guide for lawful and secure transactions:
- Select a reliable exchange: Choose a platform that is approved by Norway’s regulatory authorities, as highlighted in our guide.
- Registration: Use your email for signup, establish a strong password, and complete any necessary KYC procedures.
- Deposit NOK: Fund your account using bank transfers, cards, or payment services.
- Buy Crypto: Select the desired cryptocurrency and quantity, then confirm the purchase.
- Secure Your Assets: Transfer your holdings to a private crypto wallet.
Legality and Regulation of Crypto Investing in Norway
Cryptocurrency is legal to buy, sell, and trade in Norway as sanctioned by Finanstilsynet and Norges Bank. Businesses dealing with crypto transactions or custody must comply with AML and KYC regulations. Gains made from trading digital assets are subject to capital gains tax, while mining and staking income is taxed as investment or business earnings, depending on scale.
Is Crypto Legal in Norway?
Yes, cryptocurrency is recognized as a legal, financial instrument for investment purposes in Norway. The main regulatory bodies monitoring compliance are Finanstilsynet and Norges Bank.
How is Crypto Taxed in Norway?
Norway levies capital gains tax on cryptocurrency investment profits. These taxes vary from 0-31.68% based on total income. Separate tax regulations exist for mining (business tax) and staking activities (investment tax) with similar progressive rate structures.
Investing in cryptocurrency while adhering to regulations ensures security and compliance within Norway. Utilizing trusted platforms like eToro, Bybit, Kraken, Binance, or NBX enables easy access to digital asset markets with NOK funding options. Remember to store holdings in private wallets and keep up with Norway’s crypto tax policies.
Which crypto exchange is best in Norway?
Based on our research, eToro is the top platform for buying and trading crypto in Norway thanks to its regulated operations, low fees, diverse coins, and array of deposit methods accepting NOK.
Is crypto allowed in Norway?
Yes, cryptocurrency is legal in Norway, though it doesn’t hold legal tender status. Individuals can lawfully buy, sell, trade, mine, and stake cryptocurrencies by using sanctioned platforms.
How to invest in crypto in Norway?
Register with a regulated Norwegian crypto exchange, complete KYC verification, fund your account via NOK bank transfer or card payment, and buy your selected digital currencies. Then, withdraw to a secure external wallet.